The Internet Portal of Al-Imam Muhammad Ibn Saud Islamic University (www.imamu.edu.sa) has, lastly, successfully and distinguishably ranked higher among the three best educational institutions websites in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The won award in its sixth session in 1437 H, which has presented on a regular basis by Ministry of Communications and Information Technology "MCIT", has begun since 1426 H (2005 G) and entitled officially "Digital Excellence Award".
The “Digital Excellence Award” (RAQMI), which is focuses not only on the quality of organizations specialized in Internet Services Business but also the quality of Arabic web content in various branches, is determined by scientific, announced evaluation standards. The Arbitration committee consists of More than 50 specialized members, who have been wisely selected. Moreover, independent arbitrators and specialists from all sectors (Academe, Government, and Private) inspect every competing Arabic website.
In a similar vein, a distinct and well-educated teamwork of Al-Imam University Portal Management, works in accordance with international standards and based on a clear vision overlapping the local borders to the global ones, has given a promising ambitious that implanting soul of distinction and hope for the tomorrow. In this regard, the Deanship of Information Technology of Al-Imam University has sought to employ the various potentials and capabilities to make this award correspond with the expectations and the goals set for it.
RAQMI arbitration system is a sophisticated system used as a portal containing a database of all of the evaluation measures as well as settings & configurations of each series.
Objectives of the Award:
The Digital Excellence Award aims at supporting Arabic talents in the field of Arabic web content development and design. It looks after technological and intellectual creativity. Moreover, it seeks to achieve the following goals:
• Encourage and enrich Arabic web content and its pertinent applications.
• Raise awareness of the importance of having excellent websites & organizations to serve the society.
• Help to publicize the exerted efforts in enhancing the Arab digital content on the Internet in Saudi Arabia.
• Support and honour the intellectual and technical creativity and talents of individuals and organizations in this field.
• Raise awareness of intellectual property rights, such as copyright, publication and other intellectual properties.
• Provide Arabic digital environments that are intellectually aligned with Saudi Arabia’s traditions, cultures, customs, and norms.
• Encourage creative enterprises and private companies in the field of Internet services.
Al-Imam Muhammad Ibn Saud Islamic University Internet Portal is always keens to apply the highest standards of security from the premier specialized incorporations in this field “DigiCert Inc” in all of its business processes.
Ways to achieve security by DigiCert :
• It starts with the encryption of information stored in databases, in addition to encrypt information while sending and receiving information to and from the Internet Portal, especially traffic information and highly confidential ones, and this prevents even administrators whom has access rights to the portal databases of knowing, reading or changing these information.
• It imposes high restrictions on traffic information; therefore, Al-Imam University Internet Portal depends largely on the latest techniques in the use of lightly complicated passwords, a procedure that ensures the use of weak passwords while registration is nonsense. This actually supports the non-use of passwords by unauthorized persons and then to block access rights to others whom has no permission nor access rights.
Al-Imam Muhammad Ibn Saud Islamic University has successfully enforce compatibility and agreement standards of W3C including RSS, CSS and HTML5. W3C is the main international standards organization for the developments of World Wide Web.
History of W3C :
Tim Berners-Lee founded the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) after he had left the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in October 1994. It was founded at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology Laboratory for Computer Science (MIT/LCS) with support from different organizations and agencies.
W3C tries to enforce compatibility and agreement among industry members in the adoption of new standards defined by the W3C. Incompatible versions of HTML are offered by different vendors, causing inconsistency in how Web pages are displayed. The consortium tries to get all those vendors to implement a set of core principles and components, which are chosen by the consortium.
Business of W3C :
W3C is mainly focusing on developing protocols and guidelines that ensure long-term growth for the Web.
Vision of W3C :
W3C's vision for the Web involves participation, sharing knowledge, and thereby building trust on a global scale.
Al-Imam Muhammad Ibn Saud Islamic University has gained with flying colours ISO 27001 Information Security Management Standard, which an integrated standard published by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC).
The successful completion of Al-Imam University for this achievement to be added to the steps that are being made in order to improve the technical aspects of the university. ISO certification considers as a documenting step for responsibilities of Deanship of Information Technology in the developing, implementing, operating, monitoring, auditing and maintaining the system of information security that aims to effective and continuous risk management as well as provide maximum protection of information.
By the way, Al-Imam Muhammad Ibn Saud Islamic University is one of the first Saudi universities obtaining this certificate, which is a benchmark for the designing of an integrated unified information security system.
Some information about the ISO 27001 certification :
What is ISO 27001 :
ISO/IEC 27001 Information Security Management Standard is an integrated standard published by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) to build a continuous and an effective information security system capable for development and evaluation, as well as gives more confidence for the organization winning it in respect of protecting its information and customers’ information. The standard encompasses continuing process to protect the information by knowing the organization's assets and measuring its significance based on the content of information and then identify and assess of the potential risks and provide appropriate solutions, whether it is technical, administrative, operational, or procedural solutions. The international standard means to develop, implement, operate, monitor, audit, maintain, and improve a documented information security system of the organization aiming for effective and continuous risk management along with suitable information protection according to its importance.
Al-Imam University Benefits from ISO 27001 certification:
• Develop parameters of information security system and build an integrated system depends on continuing operations applicable to the protection and continuous evolution based on the approved methodology.
• A reflection of the commitment of university’s employees at all levels to protect information assets.
• Increase confidence in electronic services as a key competitive point for the University.
Steps of developing information security system based on ISO 27001 certificate:
• Form of Information Security Commission.
• Choose the scope of work and objectives.
• Drafting security policy.
• Develop risk assessment approach.
• Dealing with risks.
• Implement security controls Plan.
• Security Awareness
• Control procedures and continuous improvements of information security system.
• Maintain the information security system and implement of the proposed development.
• Internal Audit.
As change became a normal trend in the internet world, many standards, criteria and best practice points and guidelines arised by different official and non-official parties trying to shape a baseline trend for a most successful professional online work in regards to the target it was built for.
For that, Al-Imam Muhammad Ibn Saud Islamic University, which is a global model of teaching, learning, and research excellence, and community service based on the genuine Islamic teachings and values, came, continuously, into play a key role and achieve a several accomplishments from many ratings’ websites, and especially, in the recent days, from WeBenchmark Website.
WeBenchmark is a non-profit organization based in Texas, United States, which offers IT consultation services some of which free assessments for government and public sectors.
It intends to make the internet a better place for showing up business and for serving people professionally.